When you climb aboard your motorcycle for an exhilarating ride you don't think about the possibility of an accident. But motorcycle accidents, unfortunately, are two common and the consequences can be devastating.Accident Rates
In 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes according to the U. S. National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA). Motorcycles had a much higher rate at 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles. Motorcycles have a higher fatality rate compared to automobiles and motorcyclists risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car. In many accidents between a car and a motorcycle there is no attempt to avoid the accident because the motorcyclist simply did not see the motorcycle. This is true in 69% of the accidents.Consequences of Accidents
In most accident cases a collision occurs or the writer has lost control through some other mishap several common types of injuries occur when the bike falls:
- Concussion and brain damage, as the head violently contacts other vehicles or objects. Writers wearing an approved helmet reduce the risk of death by 37%.
- Various parts of the body are broken such as elbows, shoulders, hips, knees and wrists. Also fingers, spine and neck are broken for the same reason. Broken shoulders and pelvis are the most common.
- Soft tissue such as skin and muscle damage as the body slides across the surface. If a writer uses motorcycle specific protective apparel such as a leather jacket or reinforced denim, this can be prevented entirely.
Bikers arm can occur where the nerves in the upper arm are damaged during the fall, causing a permanent paralysis of our movement.
The likelihood of injury to the motorcycle rider after an accident, either a multiple vehicle collision or a single vehicle accident is 96% to 98% according to the Hart report.Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Although causes of motorcycle accidents are quite varied and wide ranging, causes can include the following:
- Limited visibility at intersections due to buildings, parked vehicles, shrubbery, etc. Approximately 70% of all motorcycle accidents occur at intersections;
- road hazards such as potholes, or slicks, puddles, debris and uneven pavement;
- invisibility of motorcyclists: the motorcyclist is undetected by other drivers on the road;
- motorcycle defects, especially fuel system leaks, which present an increased risk of fire after the crash;
- weather: rain, snow, hail etc. can lead to decreased visibility and hazardous driving conditions.
The law offices of West Palm Beach Motorcycle Accent Attorney, Jessica Mishali fully understands and appreciates how devastating motorcycle accident can be. It can cause serious injury or sometimes death. If you're involved in an accident caused by a negligent driver you should be represented by a highly experienced and professional attorney. The law offices of motorcycle accident lawyer, Jessica Mishali strives to protect your rights with professional excellence.
Although Florida is a no-fault state requiring $10,000 in personal injury protection benefits, this insurance only covers automobiles and not motorcycles. Your compensation for your injuries and damages will most likely come from the negligent drivers insurance company. If you are involved in an accident please contact our office as soon as possible for a free evaluation of your case. Contact us online or call us at (561) 833-27724 appointment. Please remember that if we do not recover there is no fee for our representation.